From the first time the retailer drives by a site, through the trials and tribulations of design, entitlement, and construction, to the day the cash registers start to ring, to the eventual transfer of that property—from conception to disposition—our attorneys are passionate counsel and advocates to clients who own, operate, buy, and sell retail businesses.
Our lawyers have decades of experience helping supermarkets, home furniture and furnishings retailers, toy retailers, apparel retailers, dine-in movie companies, and restaurateurs expand, deliberately contract, manage their assets, defend themselves from lawsuits, bring lawsuits to assert their rights and enforce the obligations of others, acquire new companies, and divest themselves of assets, from the letter of intent stage, through leasing, acquisition, financing, and disposition. Our attorneys are active in retail business trade groups, including the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC). One of our senior lawyers gained years of experience as an in-house lawyer in various retail organizations.
- General outside real estate counsel to international “big box” retailer in U.S. matters, including acting as counsel (either directly or via oversight of local counsel) in acquisition, development, design, construction, remodeling, relocation, and disposition of retail and distribution facilities in the markets throughout the U.S.
- Regional outside real estate counsel to privately held supermarket chain in leasing of store facilities throughout Delaware Valley region.
- Negotiating leases and acquisitions of large-scale warehouse space in locations throughout the United States, enabling the client “end user” to scale up its operations successfully.
- Representing retailers in manifold types of financings and facilitated the securing of Federal tax credits in connection with latest borrowing.
- Representation of a large retail developer in numerous transactions that include governmental entities, quasi-governmental entities, and private developers in varying degrees of involvement in retail development and retail/mixed-use projects.
- Handling ground leasing and sub-ground leasing for development transactions.
- Due diligence activities and acquisition documentation for retail anchor in major urban retail development projects.
- Asset management and expansion investigation projects for retail clients.
- Ongoing implementation of nationwide retailer key employee relocation program.
- Spearheading the acquisition and development project for an anchor apparel retailer to relocate its headquarters.
- Representing anchor retailers in acquisition and leasing of shopping center condominiums.