Bruce Ritter has practiced commercial real estate since 1987, advising clients on leasing, acquisition, development, loan transactions, and real estate workouts throughout New York, New Jersey, and nationally.
His clients include commercial landlords and tenants nationwide in retail leases, office leases, “big box,” industrial, and warehouse leases, as well as mixed-use project leases, ground leases, and bondable and other types of financing leases. In addition, he has led brownfield developments, retail developments, and build-to-suit projects. Bruce has an appetite and ability to take on challenging and complex transactions and bring them swiftly to successful conclusion. Clients appreciate his understanding of unique tax incentives and programs in real estate deals, allowing him to assist them in structuring substantial cost savings. Known for his extreme attention to detail and untiring approach to making sure his client’s interests are protected, Bruce takes great pride in the fact that clients have been with the firm for decades.
Bruce is active in the International Council of Shopping Centers, a national industry organization; the Nassau County Bar Association; the New York State Bar Association, including the Real Property Law and Environmental Law Sections; and the Accountant/Attorney Networking Group Inc. In addition, he is the Vice Chair and a board member of the Long Island Business Associates.
Prior to private practice, Bruce worked as an in-house counsel with two national retailers and a national quick service restaurant company in addition to private law firm experience in Manhattan. Bruce served on the board of a New York not-for-profit company providing education and special needs services to children for over ten years.
In the last few years, Bruce has served as a Moderator for the Nassau County Bar Association’s CLE Seminar entitled “Improving The Performance of Your Law Firm” and as a Workshop Coordinator and Co-Facilitator for the session “Dollar$ & Sense: Attacking Both Sides of the Coin” at the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference.” Most recently, he addressed the ICSC Law Conference in Orlando on issues with incentives and fixture financing.
Bruce is an avid cycler, skier, and traveler. When not practicing law, he can be found on a baseball diamond coaching for the Syosset Baseball Association, as well as serving on their Board of Directors.
In 1987, Bruce graduated cum laude from Brooklyn Law School, where he was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society and National Trial Advocacy Team. He is a 1983 graduate of State University of New York at Binghamton.
- Spearheaded the acquisition and development project for an anchor apparel retailer to relocate its headquarters.
- Represented an anchor retailer on the acquisition and development project for large warehouse distribution hub centers.
- Represented anchor retailers for acquisition and leasing in shopping center condominiums.
- Handled ground leasing and sub-ground leasing for development transactions.
- Represented a lender in connection with multi-state extended stay lodging facility projects.
- Represented large quick service restaurant chain on steakhouse and quick service transactions.
- Represented borrower for refinancing of large light industrial, manufacturing, and office development.
- Representation of a large retail developer in numerous transactions that include governmental entities, quasi-governmental entities, and private developers in varying degrees of involvement in retail development and retail/mixed-use projects.
J.D., cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 1987
B.A., with honors, State University of New York at Binghamton, 1983
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Accountant/Attorney Networking Group Inc. (AANG)
- Long Island Business Associates (LIBA)
- Syosset Baseball Association
- U.S. Green Building Council (USBGC), Long Island Chapter
- Seminar Speaker, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference, “Challenges and Rewards for the Grocer and Shopping Center Owner/Operator in the Coming Decade of the 2020s” (October 2020)
- Seminar Speaker, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference, “Changing Times, Changing Minds: Revisiting Prohibited Uses and Their Enforceability in the New Era of Non-Traditional Retail” (October 2017)
- Workshop Coordinator and Co-Facilitator, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference, “Subtenant Recognition Agreements: To Recognize Me or Not to Recognize Me, That Is Not a Question” (October 2016)
- Roundtable Leader, “Issues with Incentives and Fixture Financing,” International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference (October 2014)
- Moderator, Nassau County Bar Association CLE Seminar, “Improving the Performance of Your Law Firm” (October 2011)
- Workshop Coordinator and Co-Facilitator, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference, “Dollar$ & Sense: Attacking Both Sides of the Coin” (September 2010)