Dan Gibbon works with all aspects of businesses: formation and choice of entity; financing; agreements among owners; employer/employee relations; tax planning; contracts and transactions with third parties; mergers and joint ventures; intellectual property matters; real estate transactions; and buying and selling of businesses. He also practices in the areas of estate planning and administration, from the most basic of wills to sophisticated trusts.
Many of Dan’s clients have relied on him for decades to meet their business and personal law needs. Dan represents a diverse group of businesses, including medical and architectural practice groups; a software development company; a business research consulting firm; a language translation firm; a company operating three summer camps in the Pocono Mountains region of Pennsylvania; and a nonprofit involved in counseling those infected with or affected by HIV/AIDS. Dan also stepped in and made himself essential to a firm client’s national real estate expansion and asset management program. He regularly works on leasing and acquisition for the company, which offers educational and school management services to two hundred schools throughout the United States.
Business owners and other individuals frequently call upon Dan to be a counselor and serve as a sounding board for issues they encounter, legal and otherwise. At the same time, he implements creative solutions to their problems through drafting of documents and agreements of every stripe. Dan has a practical bent and looks for the most efficient, straightforward means to an end, which may involve the client taking the lead in solving the problem at hand. Although each project is unique, they all call for his good business sense and, above all, sound judgment.
Dan is a graduate of Swarthmore College and the University of Michigan Law School. Previous to law practice, Dan worked in the music industry, a passion that he keeps alive performing with two rock bands. He also has an abiding love of the out of doors and is the head of a group of Tree Tenders, affiliated with the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, in the Queen Village section of Philadelphia. His group has planted over two hundred street trees in the last five years.
- Represents operator of private preschools in construction and leasing of schools throughout the United States.
- Prepared corporate documentation and has provided counsel from inception for company involved in unmanned aircraft systems.
- Prepared comprehensive estate and succession plans for family-run businesses in retail supermarket and summer camp fields, including preparation and adoption of trusts to minimize estate taxes over several generations.
- Settled OSHA claim against concrete contractor in connection with fatal accident involving several of the company’s employees.
- Represented developer in all aspects of the rehabilitation of a multi-story townhouse in Center City Philadelphia, including negotiation of construction financing, construction agreement, architect agreement, and tenant leases.
- Structured buy-in of next generation of partners in established architectural firm.
- Represented retail supermarket operator in several rounds of financing and facilitated the securing of federal tax credits in connection with latest borrowing.
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1982
M.A., Natural Resources Policy, University of Michigan, 1982
B.A., Swarthmore College, 1974
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) Tree Tenders