Jeff C. Stewart has more than 15 years of experience as an attorney, focusing his practice on a wide array of transactional real estate matters and other commercial and corporate matters locally and throughout the country. In particular, he has significant experience in real estate development projects, retail, office, and industrial leasing, acquisitions and dispositions, sale leaseback transactions, real estate secured lending, corporate mergers and acquisitions, construction contracts, Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs), and Construction, Operation, and Reciprocal Easement Agreements (COREAs).
Jeff has represented buyers, sellers, landlords, tenants, lenders, and borrowers in connection with various real estate matters and has represented for-profit and non-profit clients in connection with general corporate and commercial matters. Jeff has assisted his clients in acquiring, financing, developing, restructuring, selling, and leasing shopping centers, office buildings, hotels, industrial parks, apartment complexes, and raw land, among other properties. His real estate practice also includes the preparation and negotiation of joint development, cost-sharing, and construction agreements, as well as restrictive covenants, easements, and related project documents in connection with the development of office buildings and office parks, shopping centers, and mixed-use developments.
Jeff’s banking and finance experience includes the representation of both lending institutions and borrowers in mortgage loan and mezzanine loan commercial financing transactions, including real estate acquisition, construction and permanent loan facilities, and in connection with bond transactions.
Prior to working at Larsson & Scheuritzel P.C., Jeff served as an attorney for AmLaw 200 law firms, where Jeff represented real estate and corporate clients in connection with a variety of matters, and served as an in-house counsel for a development company that works with national retailers and also as an in-house counsel for a university.
Jeff graduated magna cum laude from the University of Illinois Law School in 2000 and also earned an LL.M. in Tax Law from the University of Florida in 2002. He is a 1996 graduate of Eastern Illinois University, where he received a B.S. in Business, majoring in Accounting.
- Represented a client in connection with the development of a more than $100 million multi-purpose development involving more than $60 million of first mortgage financing and more than $40 million of mezzanine financing. The project also involved a condominium ownership structure to divide ownership of a ground lease interest.
- Negotiated loan documents in connection with a $24 million construction loan.
- Served as lead counsel in connection with purchase, development, financing, and leasing of more than 15 charter school facilities.
- Served as primary real estate counsel in connection with three corporate acquisitions involving an aggregate purchase price of more than $60 million.
- Served as counsel for a client in connection with the redevelopment of a complex multi-use shopping center subject to a complex condominium and ground lease structure.
- Served as lender’s counsel in connection with two low-income housing developments.
- Represented charter schools in connection with a $30 million bond issuance.
- Negotiated more than 50 office or retail leases, representing tenants and landlords.
- Negotiated more than 10 lease agreements for charter schools, including 5 build-to-suit lease agreements.
- Represented a nursing home client in connection with all phases of a $40 million development.
- Represented landlords in connection with CAM audits with an amount in dispute of up to $500,000.
- Represented a development company in connection with development activities for locations for national retailers.
- Obtained real property tax exemption for more than 25 properties.
- Represented more than 15 non-profit organizations in connection with obtaining federal income tax exemption and general corporate governance.
- Represented mortgage loan borrowers and lenders in connection with loans of up to $30 million.
- Represented a public university in reviewing and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts.
- Represented clients in connection with more than 10 like-kind exchange agreements.
LL.M., University of Florida, 2002
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois, 2000
B.S., Accounting, summa cum laude, Eastern Illinois University, 1996
- Order of the Coif
- Administrative Editor, University of Illinois Law Review