Richard Slavin’s practice focuses on real estate transactions and local administrative approvals. Rich represents landlords, tenants, lenders, borrowers, developers, and end users in the lease, sale, acquisition, and development of commercial real estate nationwide. He also has a growing practice representing the next generation of real estate developers in the City of Philadelphia.
Clients frequently turn to Rich to understand local law and practice in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. He helps clients navigate the various agencies of Philadelphia government, including the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I), the Zoning Board of Adjustment, the Planning and Historical Commissions, the Board of Revision of Taxes, and the Revenue Department. Rich monitors legislation in Philadelphia City Council and other developments in the City’s agencies. Clients appreciate Rich’s real-time alerts and advice on how to stay ahead of upcoming legal changes.
Rich closely follows developments with the new federal Opportunity Zones created in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. He and our team members advise clients on how to take advantage of the program while following the numerous formalities required. More information about Opportunity Zones can be found here.
Rich began his career in the real estate department of a large Philadelphia law firm, gaining experience in all aspects of real estate transactions and zoning and land use law. His work included closing transactions involving large and complex real estate assets, including refineries, dams, solar arrays, and casinos.
A native Philadelphian, Rich is an active member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Urban Land Institute, where he serves as a co-chair of the Young Leaders Council, and the International Council of Shopping Centers. He earned his undergraduate degree magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania College of Arts and Sciences and his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was Executive Editor of the Journal of Constitutional Law.
- Developer Representation
- Provide general counsel to real estate companies on corporate organization, investor relations, joint ventures, new property acquisitions, title insurance issues, and real estate taxes and abatements.
- Represent borrowers in construction financing with regional and national banks.
- Obtain approvals for multifamily and commercial projects in Philadelphia, including review of zoning plans, preparation of applications, meeting with Registered Community Organizations and other stakeholders, meeting with other City agencies, and argument before Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA).
- Draft Declarations of Condominium and other documents for developers to convert multifamily projects to condominiums. Guide transition of the new condominium from developer control to association control.
- Retailer and Anchor Tenant Representation
- Negotiated purchase, sale, and financing documents in leveraged sale-leaseback transaction whereby an affiliate of an anchor tenant purchased a shopping center via proceeds obtained through selling the fee interest in newly leased anchor space to net lease buyer.
- Coordinated approximately $40M closing for acquisition of over a dozen long-term anchor tenant leases from a client’s bankrupt competitor.
- Negotiated Agreements of Sale, conducted due diligence, and coordinated closings for a large end user purchasing typically 20 to 40 acres of land in major metropolitan areas. Representation frequently includes negotiation of Reciprocal Easement Agreements (REAs) or Declarations of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) governing operation of a shopping center or multiparty development.
- Represent Seller in ongoing sale of portions of landfill property.
- Taxpayer Representation
- Prosecuted over 25 real estate tax appeals in 5-county Philadelphia region for office buildings, shopping centers, other commercial properties, and luxury residential real estate.
- Advise on realty transfer tax impact in commercial real estate transactions.
- Closings and Due Diligence (experience in prior firm)
- Assisted with drafting of real estate conveyance documents and real estate due diligence for sale of large municipally owned utility valued over $1 billion.
- Coordinated deal closing for $20 million sale of family-owned shopping center with approximately 25 tenants.
- Negotiated title and conducted other due diligence in connection with 6 megawatt solar energy project.
- Reviewed title, drafted conveyance documents, drafted mortgages and local counsel opinion in connection with purchase of hydroelectric facilities and related financing worth roughly $400 million.
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2012
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 2009
- Lawyer on the Fast Track, The Legal Intelligencer 2019 Professional Excellence Awards
- Selected, Super Lawyers magazine, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Rising Stars: Real Estate and Land Use/Zoning, 2018
A description of the selection methodology for Super Lawyers can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Urban Land Institute
- Co-chair, Urban Land Institute Young Leaders Council
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
Roundtable Leader, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference, “Enforcing the First Class Shopping Standard” (October 2017)